But enough of that.
Since I last wrote, I've had some firsthand experience at using some of the techniques I've been theorizing about since reading the DMG 2 and musing on it.
Thus far, I have
- Run a behind-the-scenes skill challenge
- Used a skill challenge to transition between encounter areas
- Created opportunities which would nurture the Explorer player type
- Used failed skill challenges to propel the story forward
- Allowed the PCs to be victorious, though ultimately their side lost
I have learned a great deal from them. After class, I'll update on the first few of these, and talk about what I have found works, and what seems like I could do a bit more tweaking.